Sunday, January 01, 2006

Meaning? Or, Sometimes A Light Up Santa With A Trash Can Is Just A...

While driving around L.A. with D last month, we spotted a light up Santa Claus with what appeared to be a light up trash can behind it. My first response was "Perhaps it symbolizes the crass commercialsm behind the holiday season."

Or perhaps it was just a light up Santa with a light up trash can.

I tend to read meaning into a lot of things, both the arrangement of objects, and people's behavior. Being the meglomaniacal person that I am, I often assume people's behaviour is in some way about me.

An example:

As my regular readers know, I have a thing about the return of phone calls. This started as a professional thing. When a phone call is returned can often give you a clue as to where you fall in a colleague's radar. Now that has bled over into my personal life, so that if someone has not called me back, it indicates things to me that it probably shouldn't. I know that people are busy and it's not always about me, but it still bothers me.

I suppose this "trait"* of mine helps explain why I have such a hard time taking the things I am told at face value. Not the negative stuff, or the strictly benign stuff (when someone says "It's four PM." I usually believe them), but I often worry that, in an attempt to not hurt my feelings, people tell me what they think I want to hear.**

This is why I love the Muti-State, Girlie-Advising Posse so much. They tell me when I am being an idiot, much like Feste's foes in Twelfth Night. I would rather be told I am an ass.

There is a point in here somewhere. If you find it, could you tell it I am looking for it?

*You say neurosis, I say trait.

** Further evidence of my meglomania

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the french double doors sitting agape are too much for me to resist. you're an ass.

s

Bea said...

Dearest LD there are times when you are basically a pin head. This does not mean that you aren't loveable, charming and witty...it just means you can be an ass sometimes. LOL Not everything is about you spud!