Saturday, January 21, 2006

Rats

The window in my apartment looks out onto the backs of two other apartment buildings. At night, I look down on a light fixture that shines over two doorways. The doorways are flanked by two concrete posts, and the light from the fixture just manages to paint the edges of them. The fixture itself casts a lovely pattern on the ground. All in all, a lovely composition.

At least it would be, but the focal point of this composition is the largest rat trap I have ever seen. I don't mean the kind with a spring and a piece of cheese, but the ones where they go in and get stuck and then starve to death. It is huge. Seriously, you could lose a poodle in there.

I have a severe rodent phobia* (I have been known to cross the street to avoid them), and I don't really want to have to contemplate how large the rats are that this trap is meant to ensnare, and how close they are living to me.

*There is a funny bit of irony there, but I don't think I will share it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the trap is large to accomodate *quantity* instead of the Marlon Brando-sized rats...

;)
BC

Bea said...

LMAO Brando Rats-tooooooo funnnyyyyy!!! They're the kind that make you an offer you can't refuse and all their offspring are named 'Fredo, Santino or Michael.