Monday, September 21, 2020

102 Days Left. 84 Paintings To Go.

 


Alizarin Experiment #1

Oil On Canvas


I have been feeling exceptionally discouraged over the past couple of days. Some of it is news of the world, some of it is situations here at home. So although I have done some background things, canvas prep and cataloging paintings, I have not put brush to canvas in a couple of days.

I worked on this piece late this afternoon. I used a plain white canvas to play around with two colors that have limited opacity, thus allowing light to pass through them, bounce off the white background and be reflected back through the paint. It gives the colors a sense of glow.

Maxfield Parrish worked in a similar way which is why his canvases appear so vibrant. Unfortunately to further the effect he varnished the whites underneath, which over time has caused severe cracking issues because of uneven drying of the paints. In another generation most of his work will probably be lost to us.

I always feel at least slightly better after I draw or paint. Something I should keep in mind more often.

And with that it is time for dinner. And a glass of wine.

Peace in yer crease.

No comments: