Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Losing It

I lost my dongle.

No that is not some sort of euphamism. It is the USB key I attach to my computer so I can run my copy of Vectorworks, the program I use for drafting.

I had it yesterday as I sat at the office (Starbucks) working on cleaning up the draftings I will be showing at the United Scenic Artists exam next month. Then I got bumped off-line, and when I tried to reconnect, T-Mobile informed me my account was no longer active.

Huh? The payment posted on Friday, but I figured before I called to yell at them I should be absolutely sure.

So I turned off my computer, pulled out the dongle from the back, and started packing up.

Now I was distracted. I conduct a great deal of work discussions via email, and had a number of things floating about that I needed to get responses on. I can't afford not to have an internet connection*.

I headed home to drop off my bag before I went to the bank to check my statement. I entered my apartment, dropped my bag, went to the bathroom, and as I was getting ready to leave I pulled out my keys. When I am drafting away from the house, I keep the dongle on one of those keychains that seperates into two parts, the other part having my house keys.

There in my hand were my house keys, but the other half of the keychain was missing.

OH!

MY!

GOD!

I began searching through my pockets, then through my bag, then on the shelves where I usually deposit items when I enter the house. I checked my drafting table. I searched my bag again, then my pockets again. I walked into the hall outside my apartment.

I decided to retrace my route back to Starbucks. Of course I was so distracted on my way home, I could not remember my exact steps, but I walked the whole way back with my eyes cast to the ground searching.

I reached Starbucks and searched around the table I where I had been seated. I asked at the counter to see if anyone had found it and turned it in. No dice.

I walked back home, and I began to panic. The union exam is three and a half weeks away. Everything I need to prepare for the exam has to originate with those drawings. The software in question will cost $1,700.00 to replace. I don't have $1,700.00. Oh My God!

I asked the doorman at my building if anyone had found it and turned it in. Nope.

On the way up to my apartment I start going through the logistics of re-drafting all of the drawings I will need for the exam. By hand. In three and a half weeks.

Get into the apartment and do a thorough search. It is gone.

OH!

MY!

FUCKING!

GOD!

Cue full blown panic attack.

I sit on my couch for over half an hour just trying to breath.

Finally I begin to attack the problem. I call the software company. The version I have is two releases old, and I am afraid they will not be able support the version I have anymore. But my new best friend, Mike, informs me he can send me a new dongle, and it will only cost $25.00.

$25.00 is waaaaaay better than $1,700.00. And way better than trying to reproduce a bunch of draftings by hand. We love Mike.

Dongle has been ordered, and I should have it by the end of the week.

* Of course, these days, who can?

No comments: