Sunday, June 11, 2006

Could Someone Please Explain This To Me?

Apparently, I am really dense.

On Wednsday, the US Senate voted 49-48 to sponsor a constitutional amendment that would prohibit states from recognizing same-sex marriages. Sam Brownback, R-Kan, made a statement that "We're not going to stop until marriage between a man and woman is protected."

Now, I have known a fair number of homosexuals in my life. Some of my dearest frinds are gay. Not once have I ever heard, not even drunk at the bar, any of them declare "Whatever we do, we have to deystroy the institution of marriage! Dear God, don't let the heterosexuals get married!"

So what exactly is it that these people think they are protecting?

My thought?

The right to continue to divide society into "us" and "them". The right to feel superior to someone else based on something as arbitrary as sexual orientation. The right of ignorant people to exercise the only bit of power they posess by marginalizing somone else.

"The Republican leadership is asking us to spend time writing bigotry into the Constitution," said Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, to which Sen. Orrin Hatch replied "Does he really want to suggest that over half of the United States Senate is a crew of bigots?"

I can not speak for Senator Kennedy, but I will do more than suggest it. I will flat out fucking say it.

Anyone who supports this amendment is a bigot.

Any politician who votes for it or similar measures is doing nothing more than adding to a divisive culture for their own profit.

1 comment:

Theata Widowa said...

You go, Bud.

I have heard it said that the heterosexuals as taking over!

They're EVERYWHERE, I tell you.