Friday, November 04, 2005

Why I Now Hate Flying More.

As most of you know, I hate to fly, but my terror is generally confined to the take-off and landing portion of the exercise. Something like 95% of all air crashes occur during take-off and landing, so if I can get through that, I feel like I have pretty much beaten the odds (even my luck isn't that bad)

Now imagine you are on a flight to Chicago, cruising along at 28,000 feet (that's five miles above the surface of the earth). Now imagine the fasten seatbelt sign turns on and the plane suddenly dives down 14,000 feet in the span of about two minutes. Let me say that again.

The plane dives down 14,000 feet in the span of about two minutes. That's almost three miles.

Finally the pilot comes on the loudspeaker to tell us our sudden change in altitude was because they were unable to keep the cbin at pressure at the height we were travelling.

In plain English, what that means is there was a leak somehwere blowing the air out of the cabin.

Have I mentioned I hate to fly.

I am safe in Minneapolis, BTW.

1 comment:

Bea said...

Good Grief! Holy loss of air pressure Batman! I'm glad you made it to the airport alive and that no one was injured. Fly the friendly skies safely dude.