Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Sands In The Hourglass

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone."
                                                                                                  Pablo Picasso


I turned fifty a little more than two months ago. As a present for myself, I made a trip back to Florence, Italy to celebrate my birthday.

I returned to the Galleria dell'Accademia with my sketchbook to see Michelangelo's David. I toured through the Palazzo Vecchio and wondered at the ceiling paintings. I went early one morning to the Bargello and discovered the range of Giambologna. With my friend Lauren, I climbed to the very top of the Duomo and took in the view.

I ate some amazing food, drank incredible wines, and reveled in being surrounded by such brilliant painting, sculpture, and architecture.

I returned from Italy with a remarkable amount of clarity. I am fifty now. I no longer have all of the time in the world to pursue the things that I want for myself.

As an artist, there is work I want to produce, images in my head that I want to have make their way onto canvas. In order for this to happen, my skills and technique must catch up with my vision. This means spending far more time with pencil and brush in hand.

To this end, I have rented a 200 sf studio space at DC Arts Studios in Takoma. I moved my easels, drafting table and art supplies out there in the middle of January. I also enrolled in a painting course through the Corcoran's continuing education department. In the almost two months since then I have managed to do more painting than I was able to get done in the previous two years.

What I am coming to realize is that my current job may not be compatible with this re-prioritizing of my life. We are in the midst of a very busy time at the day job, and so I am trying to reserve judgment until things calm down to evaluate, but I am holding to this commitment:

Nothing will be allowed to stand in the way of working and developing as a painter. I am fifty now. I no longer have all of the time in the world.

Peace in yer crease.


No comments: