Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Disparate Projects Currently On My Easels

                                                   Untitled Still Life
                                                   Oil On Canvas
                                                   24" x 18"

The canvas above is the first project I worked on in the painting class I am currently taking at the Corcoran. It was unfinished when I brought it back to the studio, so I spent some time working on it this afternoon. The bottle is a hot mess in terms of rendering it's shape accurately, and the highlight is terrible, but I am overall pleased with how I captured the tonal qualities of the composition.

The other things sitting on the easels are a series I began a few weeks ago, an extended exploration of the color Green, in preparation to finish a painting I started several years ago.



This has been hanging on a wall for some time now, and up until recently it had only had the lining done. I blocked in the sky last month, and the next logical step is the foliage on either side of the pathway. I have a couple of Greens from the tube, but I wanted to see what varieties were possible by mixing various Blues with various Yellows, so I dashed out a quick abstract canvas board, using the Greens I had out of the tube (Pthalo & Veridian), as well as a 50/50 mixture of each of the Blues I had (Pthalo, Ultramarine & Cerulean) with each of the Yellows (Cadmium Light, Hansa Light & Yellow Ochre) on a Purple background.


After competing this, I decided I wanted to see the contrast between those Greens and various background colors, so I made a cartoon and transferred the same composition to 11 pieces of canvas board.


I am just over the halfway through blocking in the background color for these.


Next will come the various Greens.

After that I plan to do nine larger canvases that explore the range of each Blue/ Yellow combination. Then will come an even larger canvas that uses the entire range of all of the Blue/ Yellow combinations.

Then rinse and repeat for the other two secondary colors, Violet and Orange.

I think this is all a six month project. We shall see.

Peace in yer crease.

No comments: