Monday, March 26, 2018

A Bit Of Process

I began the painting that is my banner here on my blog, as well as my Facebook and Patreon pages, about three years ago, shortly after my return from vacation in Rome.

It began with a sketch done in the Friday afternoon figure drawing session at Washington Studio School.


Untitled- Reclining Nude
Pencil On Paper

I then transferred the drawing to a 24" x 36" canvas.




I rotated the figure in the composition to give it a more relaxed feeling. I also made the decision to not paint the right hand (I still struggle with drawing hands).

Next was lining in with Burnt Umber diluted with OMS*.




Then came blocking in the values, using Burnt Umber as my darkest shade. Again this was fairly diluted.



This first pass didn't push the values enough for me, so I made another pass:




When it was dry to touch, I added the first layer of color to the background:




Then came the color on the body:


Untitled- Unfinished Reclining Nude
Oil On Canvas
24" x 36"

The painting is still hanging on the wall, unfinished. I am somewhat stuck as to what to do about the face and hair. I actually think the painting was most successful in the version before I added the body color.

I suppose at some point I will go back to this canvas to re-adress it, but for now it serves as a metaphor for my own artistic growth. Incomplete, but somewhere in process.

Peace in yer crease.


*OMS = Oderless Mineral Spirits. I use Gamsol, although I will admit I wish the studio had good enough ventilation to allow me to use gum spirits turpentine.

No comments: