Saturday, March 24, 2018

Friday In The Studio

Yesterday was the first day of a four day weekend from the day job. I slept in, then headed out to the studio to do some painting.

In the evening we had a DC Arts Studios artists happy hour. We were asked to bring either something to eat or something to drink, as well as a piece of artwork to show. This caused me a great deal of anxiety. I have been self conscious about showing my work here around "Real" artists because I know I have so much growth to do to be able to produce the paintings I want to. Also, most of what I have been painting lately has been this color experiment that I really think is only of interest to me, so it's not anything I wanted to share.

I decided to dig through sketchbooks and assorted drawings to find something, and although it was not what I ultimately took with me, I came across this drawing from October of 2014.


This was from back when I was attending figure drawing sessions four or five times a week at various places around town. I don't know how to get there exactly, but I do know I have to find my way back to being that immersed in drawing again. This will be a hard balance to find with the demands of my day job.

But I digress.

The work I did end up taking was a small figure sketch I did back in November.



I felt it was more indicative of the sort of work I want to be producing eventually, even if I am currently tied up in the minutia of various color combinations at the moment.

I met some really lovely people and saw an interesting variety of work. There was a woman who makes objects and fashion accessories out of old bicycle parts, a couple of photographers working in very different styles, a stained glass artist, a collage artist, and an abstract painter.

It was good to begin to get to know some of the other folks in the building a little bit. I have been feeling somewhat isolated out here, and since I stopped designing for theatre it doesn't seem that I have much of an artistic community anymore. I am hoping that I can begin to build one here.

Well it is time to get back to the drawing pad.

Peace in yer crease.

No comments: