Friday, July 18, 2014

What's Next?

I obviously have not blogged in quite some time. I am getting back to it partly because of some thoughts the writer and artist Austin Kleon shares in his book "Show Your Work" about when and how you should begin promoting your art. One of his ideas is that you should find a forum with which to share with the world, if not the actual work you are doing, at least some information about it. A teaser of sorts. He suggests the use of a blog, and since I already have one I thought I would experiment with the notion while I begin to make the transition out of theatre.

I suppose I should backtrack a bit.

Over the past six months or so I have begun pursuing studio art, drawing and painting as a means of expressing an artistic idea rather than the more utilitarian purpose I have used them for in the past. i.e. the illustration of a dramatic idea. In January I started attending life drawing sessions offered by the Washington Drawing Center. In March I began to experiment with oil painting. I spent six days in Florence, Italy at the beginning of April, much of which was spent taking in the breathtaking painting and sculpture to be found there.

In Italy, everything sort of clicked and I realized it was time to really take the plunge and step away from being a freelance theatrical artist. I immediately felt better. I returned to the US and began to hatch a plan.

So why the change? That requires a little bit more backtracking.

2013 was a pretty crappy year which saw either the loss or near loss of several loved ones. Among the many things I took away from all that trauma was a desire to have something that I did not feel so impermanent. I don't have kids, in fact have never wanted to be a parent, so when I depart this world I would like to leave something behind that lasted beyond a six week run and the vague impressions left in the memory of the audiences who saw whatever I had done. Maybe that's ego. I don't know.

Another part of it honestly stems from my frustration about getting less and less work as time goes on. Unlike theatrical design, I can choose when I pick up a paint brush. I don't have to wait for someone to hire me in order to have a means of expression. This is a double edged sword as it is also then my responsibility to do it, independent of deadlines.

But I think the largest reason is simply wanting to exercise more control over the artistic expression. I don't have to filter my ideas through anyone else, I can just do what seems best to me. This is probably also a double edged sword.

So what am I working on now?

I am tying up two theatrical projects that will be presented this Fall. I am taking summer classes in painting and figure drawing through the continuing education department at the Corcoran. I continue to go to life drawing sessions throughout the week. I am reading a lot. I am plotting a trip to Amsterdam this Fall.

And I am looking for a little more than part time job so I can get a predictable income and schedule, put some money away for graduate school (more on that later) and pay for more classes and hopefully a studio space that is not my apartment.

There will hopefully be more posted here, and I might even share some photos of drawing and painting I am doing. Although I am still a little self conscious about doing that just yet.

Peace in yer crease.






No comments: