Sunday, July 20, 2014

Faces, Feet & Hands. ARGH!

I went yesterday morning to the Saturday life drawing session with Washington Drawing Center. Both the Saturday morning and Thursday evening sessions are three hours with a single pose, for the insanely low price of $10/ session. The downside is the pose and lighting are generally worked out by committee. Still it is a great resource and I am glad to have the opportunity to work with a model at all.

For the first time since I started attending, I did a single 18" x 24" drawing while standing at an easel. I haven't really drawn anything on that scale in about 15 years. It's a lot of surface to cover with a pencil.


                                                   Seated Nude. 
                                                   Graphite on paper.


It turns out three hours was not really enough to get to a more finished drawing. In my ideal world I would have spent another two hours with the model. The model's left side, arm and breast are a little mushy and I would have liked to clean that up, as well as fill in details about the background.

But mostly the reason I would have liked more time is I am still struggling with are the face, feet and hands. That's probably clear in the above drawing given that I did not draw the hands at all and only one of the feet. And the one I did draw is still not proportioned correctly, even given the foreshortening.

However, even despite it's flaws, I am happier with the rendering of the face than I have been with any of my previous attempts. The nose is still off, and the jaw line is too angular, but it's the first time I have been able to get eyes and lips to look like they belong in a human face.  The thing is I am not really sure how I was able to do that. I spent the last 40 minutes of the session working and reworking just the face. The eyes and lips seemed finally to just come about by accident. That is a little disconcerting.

So my next thing to really work on is drawing the head and face. First to make them look like a person. Then will come creating an actual likeness of the model.

After that it's on to hands and feet.

Peace in yer crease.

No comments: