Monday, July 28, 2014

Job Search: Part Two

I continue to look for a somewhere between part time and full time job. Last week I sent in a resume and cover letter for the first non theatre job I have applied for in about 20 years, a position at The Phillips Collection. As I move more to studio art, is there a better place to work than an art gallery?

What I struggled with the most was figuring out how to frame my skill set and experience into terms that would make sense to someone who knew nothing about theatre. What does being a theatrical scenery, lighting and projections designer mean in real world terms? How about production management?

I put these questions out to the Facebook hive- mind, and got a number of useful thoughts. My friend V, who has recently made the same transition out of theatre, was very helpful. She looked over my resume and made suggestions, and sent me several versions of hers*.

As the job search goes on I am also working on ideas for the set for Oedipus I am designing for Catholic University and a bit of production management for a project at Georgetown University. And of course drawing and painting.

Peace in yer crease.

* I have been overwhelmed by the support and encouragement I have received from so many of my friends. It has been truly humbling.

No comments: