Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Focus On The Positive

A lot of negative in my life at the moment. In an attempt to not wallow in that, I thought I would try listing some of the positive things happening.

I am working with my favorite director on a project for the Capitol Fringe Festival, which will also be mounted at the New York Musical Theatre Festival.

I have a commitment to do Hamlet next season at Perseverance Theatre. Really, how many chances to design Hamlet am I going to get in my life?

A show I did this season may see a life beyond it's initial run. In a much larger market.

I have a gig assisting D in January.

I got a comp to see Mame last night at the Kennedy Center. Aside from a few tech glitches (mostly sound) that probably no one in the audience noticed but me, I thought the show was fantastic. Beautiful staging, gorgeous costumes, brilliant scenery and lighting. Also really great performances, especially the young man who plays Young Patrick. He was totally charming. After my last few projects, which although great working experiences were about totally depressing subject matter, it was lovely to go see something with a happy ending*. A good reminder that sometimes art can be about simply entertaining. There is value in that as well.

*Not that kind of happy ending**, you dirty little monkey.

**Well, it's been so long, I would probably take that as well.

No comments: