Sunday, October 12, 2014

Value Studies

The title of this post might lead one to think I was writing for some conservative publication. I assure you that is not the case, although if I did it would probably be hilarious. Right up until the point I got fired.

No, some things I have been reading lately, along with some ideas from the instructor of the figure drawing class I took over the summer have lead me into a little exercise where I draw objects with an emphasis on exploring the comparative value* of each object in relationship to one another. So I got ahold of three sets of foam shapes consisting of a sphere, a cone, a cylinder, a cube, a box and a pyramid. One set is white, one set medium grey, and one black. The foam is a matte finish, which means no reflections or specular highlights to wrestle with.

Next was building a box out of foam core, and buying black, grey and white paper to use as backgrounds for the still lifes**. It looks a little something like this:



The box not only helps me to control the background value, it also lets me manage the light source to a significant degree. No multiple sources to produce confusing shadows so I can observe and work on rendering accurately the way light falls on these objects and the way bounce from one object influences the shape and depth of shade on another.

So for the next couple of weeks (at least) I will be spending a part of my day drawing basic geometric shapes in various shades. And doing it again. And again. And again.

It's actually not as tedious as it sounds. Similar to woodworking or welding, there is always the effort required to make the materials behave the way you want them to. I put on some classical music and get lost in the drawing for a couple of hours. I learn a little more each time I do it even when I am drawing the exact same composition as the one I did the day (or morning) before. And I plan to start replicating these exercises in paint.

Last week I finished up my last theatrical design for the foreseeable future. So starting this week I plan to get back to figure drawing in a hardcore way. I have found resources to spend 3 hours a day, six days a week in figure study, most in my neighborhood, and I plan to take full advantage of that as long as I am able. What will interfere with that will be finding a job that conflicts with the schedule, or not finding a job and running out of money to continue. All told it is about $65.00 a week to participate in these various sessions. Maybe I should get a Paypal "Donate" button on my blog?

While I am on the subject, I am still looking for a job so if you know of anything please don't hesitate to let me know.

Other than that I am just reading a lot and working on my Italian. I am about a third of the way through a biography of Raphael, also reading in fits and starts William Kentridge's Six Drawing Lessons which is a fascinating discussion on art, artists and the role of both in society.

Time to go off and get ingredients for dinner.

Peace in yer crease.

*Value is a scale of light to dark in various steps, usually 5 or 9 (although Ansel Adams used an 11 step scale in developing his photographs). I am trying for a 9 step scale in my preliminary exercises with a plan to do a series in a 5 step scale.

**What the hell is the plural of "Still Life"?




2 comments:

TS said...

Still lives

TS said...

Interesting thought process. Gives me a whole new perspective.