Monday, October 13, 2014

Some Random Musings

Below is this morning's value study piece. It's on 11" x 14" paper, which is a lot of space to fill in with a pencil*. I am bothered by the streakiness of the shading. I could use a blending stomp, but my hope is to get a lot better control and variation using just a pencil.

                                             Untitled Still Life
                                             Pencil on paper.

I have spent the better part of the afternoon at Starbucks, dealing with some Nutcracker related emails, as well as rewriting a cover letter and adjusting a resume to submit for another job application. I am trying to remain positive about the job front, but could really use some good news sometime soon. I stopped looking for theatre design gigs some time ago** so the calendar ahead is beginning to resemble the color of Ahab's nemesis.

I am thinking I need a new name for this blog. Suggestions?

Well, I should go eat something and then get back to the easel.

Peace in yer crease.

*Actually three pencils, a 2B, a 4B and a 6B.

**Interestingly, I have one fewer show lined up for the coming season than I did at this same time last season, when I was still actively pursuing work. There is something telling about that, I just can't make sense of it at the moment. And I don't think I even really care to.

No comments: