Sunday, September 10, 2006

As I write this, I am sitting on the floor outside the "Admirals Lounge" at Seattle- Tacoma International airport. We opened Hamlet last night, although I was not able to watch the first act because I was sewing scenery pieces for my next show. I did slip in to watch the second act, which is the part where everyone dies.

Hope I didn't spoil it for anyone.

Despite being exhausted, I could not sleep last night because I had a 6:50 AM flight and I was afraid I would oversleep. So I sat up and read Nick Hornby's How To Be Good. I enjoyed it, but am not yet sure how I feel about the ending.

Obviously, I was not so good with the whole writing every day thing. I really have no excuse. For the first time since I started working at Perseverance, I had a Master Electrician to execute the physical part of the design. I even had an assistant who kept track of paperwork (and me*) during the whole process. As a designer I felt totally supported.

So why no writing? I am not sure. Part of it was practical. I had no internet access where I was staying, so I had to get online at the theatre. It is hard to have a private moment there.

Really I have not been writing because I have not had much to say, and I have been tired. I think the play really got me down. Here is a family, the place where you are supposed to be safe and loved and cared for, yet they cheat and lie and eventually murder one another. With all of the terrible crap going on everywhere in the real world, I guess I was not ready to watch horrific events on the stage as well.

I don't know. I always feel reflective when I leave Juneau, and since I fear it may have been my last time there, I am even more so.

Please try to be good to one another and yourself.

* I came to the conclusion that I had become D. My assistant told me where to stand and what we were doing next, and I brought her cookies, although they were not nearly as good as R's.

2 comments:

Chairborne Stranger said...

Thanks for your last comment on my blog. It is hard to stay positive versus negative, but you are right, and it is something I could work on.

Theata Widowa said...

I don't know what to