Thursday, March 16, 2006

Southbound Silver Star, 9:08 PM

The old man sits down across from me. After a few moments he speaks, to no one in particular. I don't acknowledge it, just put on my headphones and turn up the volume.

He sits there staring off into space. I find myself aping his expression. A part of me wants to reach out to him. I imagine my father, and hope someone in the same situation would not just sit there and ignore his lonliness.

But I am too wrapped up in my own to try and ease someone else's pain. So I sit quietly listening to the droning voice of Bob Dylan, silently wishing the old man would go away.

When he does, I find my lonliness has increased.

1 comment:

Bea said...

Awwwww LD, I understand what you mean. Gar, I'm gettin' all misty at work here thinkin' 'bout lonely people on trains.