Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mr Williams

Man goes to the doctor, says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world, where what lies ahead seems vague and uncertain.

Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him, that should pick your spirits up."

The man bursts into tears and cries "But doctor, I am Pagliacci."

I am deeply saddened by the news of Robin William's suicide. He was a unique genius and I mourn the loss of all that could have been had he remained with us. My sympathies go out to his friends and family. Losing someone suddenly is hard, but I think never more so than in these circumstances. So many questions which will never receive an answer.

I did not know much about his struggles with depression, although I remember him speaking candidly about his addictions to drugs and alcohol. In retrospect I suppose I am not that surprised. My experience has been that many with substance abuse issues also struggle with mental health issues.

I don't know what drove his decision to end his own life, but I think labeling it as "losing his battle with depression" over- simplifies a very complex set of questions. It also suggests that he had no right to do so. A 2005 Pew Research poll showed that 84% of Americans were in favor of "Right To Die" laws. If he had an inoperable brain tumor and took his own life, would we be saying he had no right to make that choice for himself?  Would we be demanding he spend his remaining days in terrible suffering?

Depression is insidious, and I am by no means suggesting that we do nothing to help save people who have come to a place where they see suicide as their only option. I just think people's right to make that decision should not be so easily dismissed when it comes to someone struggling with mental illness. The pain and anguish are just as real as someone suffering from cancer, and failure to acknowledge that just serves to further the stigma of mental health issues and make it more difficult for people to seek help.

I hope that Robin has finally found the peace he was seeking.

Peace in yer crease.

No comments: