Monday, September 26, 2005

It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times

One of the best things about working in the theatre, is no matter how bad the production process may be, no matter how much you may want to choke the life out of the actors/ director/ choreographer/ costume designer, the show opens, and you can move on to the next project.

One of the worst things about working in the theatre is no matter how good the experience is, it always opens and you must move on to the next project.

I have been having an even mixture of both over the past week and a half. There have been issues with other technical elements on the production, which have caused a lot of stress for the director and myself. But despite that, I have had a wonderful time working with the director, and more recently the playwright. While I am glad to have the production angst over, I am sorry to not have regular contact with some of the people involved.

I frequently go through a bout of post show depression. I am experiencing that right now.

In addition, it seems that my life going so well has tipped the balance and so most of the people I am close to are experiencing horrilble personal traumas. S is still waiting to find out when she can return home to New Orleans, and trying to figure out if there is going to be a life to return to. I have another friend having female related health issues. Another friend's husband abandoned her in June, telling her he "just didn't want to have to think about her when planning his life"*. Two others are contemplating whether they should disolve their current relationships.

It's very hard for me to watch people I care for suffering. I want to mount my white steed, charge in and fix the problem. But of course I can't, and so all I can do is listen, and say "I'm sorry." It doesn't feel like enough. I would like to say to them it's going to be OK, but as much as I don't like to admit it, I am not god, and so have no way to keep that promise.

On to happier topics.

I have been forbidden to blog about it, but I had a very nice time yesterday evening.


*BL, one of the Multi-State, Girlie-Advising Posse, is one of the warmest, most giving, smart, funny and sexy women I have ever known. She is a truley good human being, and after talking with her on the phone, I wanted to take a baseball bat to her ex husband for the way he has treated her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happened to a friend of a friend of mine (who, happily, is getting married this weekend) a couple years ago:

Her fiance dumped her cold, and when she asked him why, he told her that she had a fat ass and wasn't jewish.

I believe her response was that her ass might have gotten fatter (she's hot, don't know what she was talkin' about) but she was NEVER jewish.

People can be really bizarre.

-Biker Chick

Bea said...

Whoa, Mighty Cliff-sta, you've been a busy lad these days. Before you go for the white steed I feel the need to tell you that I took the saddle to the cleaners so you're gonna be doing that bareback thing. Hang tuff, my pal, life has a way of working out. Human beings are remarkably resilient(sp?). On the other hand humans can also be complete and utter boneheads...go figure-we have the capacity for such great kindness yet there are some who choose to be shitty-what can I say?

Artist In Transition said...

BC- Yeah.

Bea- I know, I am just frustrated. There is no dragon to slay. Hate not being able to help.

SAS said...

You help. You do help. You are there. That helps.